dimanche, août 26, 2007

Key Biscayne Sprint Triathlon

    Third of a local sprint distance series this morning out on the key. Swimming along the beach, running around a parking lot, riding the causeway, including the Mount Tri bridge. 

    There was a pretty good turnout.  So it's good that I rode the bike out, so even though I was late leaving the house, I was able to bypass hundreds of cars waiting to park.

    There was a little sprinkle on registration, but by the time the sun came up the rain had stopped.  The ocean swim was not too far off shore - most of the distance was along the beach in a deep pool with a sandbar on the ocean side of the course.  As I was on the outside round the first buoy to avoid all the kicking I admit to using this bar to push off a few times...  The wind blew into shore and the chop wasn't too bad.  I breath more easily to the left, so I didn't drink too much sea water.

    T1 was a long run across the wide beach and through along some sidewalks, then I had to sit down and have a cheeseburger before getting on the bike...

    The pavement was a bit wet from the rain earlier, so I got a good start passing some cautious riders in the parking lots before we headed out onto the causeway.  The bike leg went well.  I kept a good pace - passing a good stream of riders.  And I didn't get DQ'd for cutting the turns straight and passing on the right. 

    The run was slow and hot, but I didn't cramp and kicked a little at the end.  Overall a decent attempt. And a well run event.  The event was pricey, with not much schwag to show for the $60 entry fee (Multirace.com).

    I ended up seeing some friends there.  Leah Harmon and her boy, Gus, were around.  Leah won her 20-29 age group, and Gus provided support - also posing for several photos in his chicken hat...  Thanks for the Hammerhead tri club BBQ invite Gus - good meat and beer.

    Oh, btw, the high today was around 90 F, like it has been for the past four months, no triple digits here...


Libellés : , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Herbert said...

Very nice report my friend. How was the cheeseburger in T1?

Sounds like a great strategy. :-)

11:41 AM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home